Tokyo Olympics 2020
Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics start on the 23rd July. In this years Olympics there will be 33 sports featured [in the 2016 Olympics there were only 28 sports]. In team sports Team GB will have squads in Men’s & Women’s Hockey, Women’s Football, Men’s & Women’s Rowing and Men’s & Women’s Rugby. Chef de Mission Mark England has said that "After five years of hard work our team for Tokyo 2020 is now complete"
This year new team events include Baseball/Softball (back after 2008), 3x3 Basketball, and new mixed team events in athletics, archery, judo, shooting, swimming, table tennis triathlon. All together the Summer Olympics will take place in 42 different venues across Japan having over 339 medal events.
Facts about Team GB
- Team GB will have over 376 athletes and 22 reserves across 26 sports for the first time in 125 year history
- There are more women (201) than men (175) competing in the summer Olympics - Team GB is bigger than ever!
- Team GB includes eight sets of siblings!
- The Team GB kit was designed by Adidas to “celebrate the [team] with pride” so that they “[...] rise together in a kit that represents [them] all.”
- There will be no medal target for Team GB in this year's Olympics because of COVID-19. Team GB won an impressive 67 medals, finishing second at the league table just after the United States (121 medals), at the last Olympic Games, which took place in Rio in 2016.
- Great Britain is the only team to have won at least one gold medal at every Summer Games since the team first competed in 1896 [Source: https://kids.kiddle.co/Great_Britain_at_the_Olympics]