How to choose the right football? Size guide
It is very important to choose the right size football for your teams, especially the younger players in your club. How many times have you seen a small child tripping over a size 5 ball? Here is a guide to getting the perfect size so players won't get a ball that’s too big for their feet or too heavy for their legs :
- Size 1 football Age 3 and under- Due to its small size, older players love to use it for technique, touch, and ball control as the smaller ball is much harder to practice with. They are great souvenir items too.
- Size 2 football for Age 4 and 5 year olds- Older players use it to hone their skills and practice tricks.
- Size 3 football Under 7, 8 and 9 Age Groups- This is the smallest recommended ball size used in proper matches. It is widely used to help players to feel more confident and develop skills.
- Size 4 football Under 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 Age Groups - This is the perfect size to practice before the normal regulation ball as it is much lighter to maneuver during practices and matches than a full sized ball. It gives the young players a few years to adjust as they get older, stronger and more skilled.
- Size 5 football, Under 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 to Adults - Official ball used in Adult and older teen matches. Avoid using a size 5 ball in younger age groups because it will be too big and heavy and they will struggle to maintain control over the ball.
It is important to have the right size ball depending on the player's age and ability to help players in their development and keep the game fun! If you have any questions contact the FA as local leagues set rules under those guidelines. Hopefully you can find our equipment section useful which has a wide range of footballs.